On June 18, 2016, I had a Slumber Party Readathon for my grandchildren… at least for those old enough to sleep over all night long. During that time I had a “bright idea” about how to get my grandkids to read more. I would commit to paying them cash for the books they read. Also, I would keep reading logs for my grandchildren which might motivate them to read more to compete with their cousins.
Brooklyn was the first to take me up on my offer, and so I initiated this post. Linked reading logs for each of my grandchildren are posted below the following rules.
I officially name this endeavor the Motivational Book Club and the rules are as follows:
- For every book read that has less than 50 pages, I will pay $1.00.
- Then, for every book read that has between 51 and 99 pages, I will pay $3.00.
- For every book read that has 100 pages or more, I will pay $5.00.
- The book read must be brought to me so that a few selected passages, of my choosing, can be read to me. I will also ask questions about the book to ensure it was “really read.” We don’t read to sound words, but to learn something.
- Each book will receive a Lexile Measure and should correspond to the child’s grade level or above.
Other rules may follow, but these will suffice for now. So grandkids… get reading and earn some cash!
Total Cash Paid Out: $89.00
Reading Logs – Grandchildren