Gene Wilder as Willy Wonka
Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory, with Gene Wilder, is one of my most treasured movies.
This 1971 family film is so entertaining and characteristically unique. Gene Wilder gave an unforgettable performance as an eccentric business owner sharing with a group of children his wonderful candy factory.
I have decided to write a post with my favorite Willy Wonka quotes from the film because I often find myself quoting them to my students, from time to time, even though I haven’t seen the movie in years.
My favorite Willy Wonka quotes from the movie are as follows:
– We are the music-makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams. (Thinks outside of the box.)
– A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men. (Rule #6: Don’t take things too seriously.)
– Oh, you should never, never doubt what nobody is sure about. (A though for the atheists…)
– The suspense is terrible; I hope it’ll last. (Patience with enthusiastic expectation.)
– So shines a good deed in a weary world. (A reworked version of a Shakespeare line meaning even though “life is pain,” one can rise above it from time to time.)
– All I ask is a tall ship and a star to sail her by.
– Round the world and home again, that’s the sailor’s way!
– You should open your mouth a little wider when you speak.
– Invention, my dear friends, is ninety-three percent perspiration, six percent electricity, four percent evaporation, and two percent butterscotch ripple. (That’s ripple with alcohol… I’m sure!)
– Where is fancy bred? In the heart, or in the head? (Where indeed…)
– So much time and so little to see. (“Strike that. Reserve it.)
– If the good Lord had intended us to walk he would have invented roller skates.
– Help. Police. Murder.
Images – Post and Rich Snippets image: “Gene Wilder as Willy Wonka – Original Artwork by Dean Huck” by artistryofdeanhuck is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 2.0.
Quotes – Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory – quotegeeks, http://quotegeek.com/quotes-from-movies/willy-wonka-chocolate-factory/ (accessed October 2, 2014).